Paul Gambaccini in conversation with Tris Penna @the Bloomsbury Patient Network
Wednesday 20th September, 2017
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Mortimer Market Center – Duncan Catterall Seminar Room (Lower Ground Floor)
PAUL GAMBACCINI in conversation with TRIS PENNA
Discussing decriminalisation, HIV in the 80’s, why Paul got involved in supporting people living with HIV, his fundraising and activism ….. how things have changed … how Tris dealt with his diagnosis a few years ago and continued his hectic work schedule.
- Paul Gambaccini is one of the UK’s most celebrated DJs and TV personalities. He has also been involved with charities supporting people living with HIV since the 80s.
- He was born in the New York, graduated from Dartmouth College – where he ran the largest radio station run by students in the US – then won two scholarships to Oxford University graduating in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Paul was one of the first music journalists on ROLLING STONE magazine and while still at Oxford he became involved with BBC radio.
- Paul is the only broadcaster to have had his own series on BBC Radios 1, 2, 3 ,4 and Classic FM. His American Hits show ran for 41 years. Paul currently presents PICK OF THE POPS on Radio 2.
- His thousands of television appearances include regular slots on BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky. Most recently he was featured in nearly every TV programme celebrating 50 years since the decriminalisation of gay relationships.
- Paul has presented the Ivor Novello song-writing awards for thirty years. He was co-author of the million-selling title THE GUINNESS BOOK OF BRITISH HIT SINGLES and he also co-produced the book and BBC TV series of TELEVISION’S GREATEST HITS. His musical ULTIMATE MAN was staged in London in 2000 and in New York in 2016.
- Paul has always been a huge supporter of charities working with people living with HIV. He was one of the first Patrons of the Terrence Higgins Trust and named Philanthropist of the Year for raising £300,000 for the THT. He was on the committee for the first Elton John White Tie and Tiara Ball which continues to raise funds for the Elton John Aids Foundation.
- He took UK citizenship in 2005 and lives in London with his husband Christopher.
- Music Producer and DJ …. and a Bloomsbury patient.
- Tris Penna has worked with many of the world’s most successful artists and writers including Marc Almond, Morrissey, Pet Shop Boys, Sandie Shaw, Cilla Black, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Andrew Lloyd Webber and David Bowie.
- He has also been responsible for movie soundtracks – including Train Spotting – as well as being involved in many musicals in the West End. He has a new musical opening in 2018.
- He was also DJ at Heaven for 15 years !!
Held at the Duncan Catterall Seminar Room (Lower Ground Floor), Mortimer Market Center, Mortimer Market, London, WC1E 6JB. Mortimer Market, just off Tottenham Court Road, the passage to clinic is between 169 (Futon Shop) & 170 Tottenham Court Road. Nearest Tube: Warren Street/Goodge Street.
Register for this special event, to reserve a place, note that there is a limit of 60 places – so do so early. You do not need to be a patient of the clinic to attend.